Maria on the Issues
Click on the issues above to learn more.
- Ramp up community-based diversion programs for first time, non-violent offenders.
- Improve harm reduction strategies for substance use disorders/chronic drug users.
- Re-examine the role of community liaisons/public meetings in the fed/local consent decree-focus and prioritize “quality of life” crimes.
- Establish private sector-public school partnerships that combine school with technical training & paid work.
- Audit the Baltimore City Public School System to identify and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse; Reduce the current 7 administrator per student ratio.
- Explore vouchers and charter school options for students in failing schools.
- Address contractor overruns to optimize funding and rebuild schools infrastructure.
- Prioritize a comprehensive audit of current city expenditures and drastically decrease administrative bloat and property tax rates I.E Lower city property taxes (highest in Maryland).
- Identify ways to incentivize private employers to subsidize use of public transportation for employees.
- Encourage Board of Estimates to offer contracts for local eco-friendly contractors while collaborating to create private/public partnerships to reinvest and rebuild boarded up homes.
- BALTIMORE CITY COUNCIL -